Learn Data Analytics – For Free

Data analytics is one of the hottest fields that you can get into right now. The demand is high and there are so many opportunities in a variety of companies and organizations. And the truth is, there are also an abundance of opportunities to learn data analytics online for free.

Learning for free

Typically people think of getting an education by paying to enroll at a university or college and going to a classroom to listen to an instructor give a lecture. This is one way.

But not the only way. These days, there are so many ways to learn, and not all of them cost money.

You can find all kinds of learning opportunities and not have to spend a dime.

YouTube

One of the best ways I’ve found to learn anything I need to learn quickly is YouTube. This is usually for a task or a technique rather than an entire topic, but very effective for this purpose.

Example: I need to figure out how to change the serpentine belt on my 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan.

YouTube is the place to go. There is almost assuredly someone that has posted a video of themselves going through the process.

Another example: I need to figure out how to JOIN two tables in SQL in a way that will limit the results to just those rows that include people from the customer table that also have a record for a purchase in 2018 from the orders table.

YouTube. There will most likely be a bunch of videos of other data pros going over how to do that and perhaps the advantages of doing it one way over another.

So YouTube is a great resource if you just need to figure out how to learn something specific.

Online training companies

There is a seemingly unlimited supply of courses online for learning just about anything. But there are many different categories of training resources.

Here are some resources for online course providers, many of which are free:

• Coursera
  • Udacity
  • Udemy
  • Skillshare
  • CodeAcademy
  • FreeCodeCamp
  • PluralSight
  • MasterClass
  • many others

Most of these sites offer either free courses, or an introductory period of free access to try out the courses.

This category of resources is companies that provide training as their business. Like I said above, some offer some of their courses free to give you a taste and hope that you’ll then pay for other courses.

Some of them offer free access for a time so that you will then pay for continued access once you’ve gotten a chance to try it and love it.

A lot of these courses are done by experts in the industry they are training in. This is a huge advantage over some other types of education choices where you may have an instructor who has either never put into practice the things they are teaching, or have been out of the game for long enough to perhaps be out-of-date.

Universities and other formal learning institutions

Many, if not most universities and colleges now offer online access to a huge portion of their courses. And so many of this content is free. Here is just a small list of some of the best I’ve seen and tried:

• MIT
  • National University of Singapore
  • The University of Edinburgh
  • The University of Tokyo
  • The University of Toronto
  • The University of Chicago
  • AND MORE!

I know I went a little overboard on that list, but it blows my mind how many world-class schools are offering their courses for free. This is a crazy time we live in and you and I can reap the benefits.

One of the ways you could use this knowledge is to learn the material before you actually enroll in a university and then be more prepared to take the course and graduate with your degree.

Or, you could even just take the course and use the knowledge in your career to get a new job, or get ahead in your current field.

Either way, you win.

Corporate courses on their own products and services

The third type of resource is the training provided by companies on their products or services, or on their industry.

Some companies have so much knowledge and expertise available, and to be helpful to the world or to build up the pool of people that can use their product or maybe come work for them, they share this knowledge.

Here is a list of companies that offer training:

• Facebook
  • Home Depot
  • NBA
  • SBA (even the US Govt)
  • MindNode
  • Kikkoman
  • Fitbit

Companies today understand that the more you know about their products and services, the more you will buy and use them. They are incentivized to train you and add to the community’s knowledge.

Conclusion

If you are interested in bettering yourself or just need to know something about a topic to help you get something done, there is no excuse today to not learn it. There are so many resources available for you to build your knowledge and skills for free.

As you learn, you improve yourself and the world you live in. The leading companies and organizations know this and have provided the free training you can use to get started on your quest.

A lot of what we’ve covered in this post is not only related to data analytics. Free training is available on almost any topic.

But the principle applies to data analytics perfectly. Look at resources from the industry, and find the ones for data analytics. It’s just a matter of narrowing your search.

Look around and you’ll find some of the greatest training for no cost to you.

Now, maybe the hardest thing you’ll have to deal with is where to start.

26 thoughts on “Learn Data Analytics – For Free”

1. This is a rather interesting post about Google analytics. I like the fact that you have decided to give some information about this data analytics. It’s very nice to learn how to get some very awesome free lessons on it. I like all the details you gave on the online classes here. It looks like I would like to go for that.

2. Learning data analysis from books hasn’t been easy for me and I must say have been reading it about it for an about two months now and it didn’t really cross my mind to check on youtube for a better understanding of it. It’s been a really wonderful thing since ingot to know how important it is and the benefits I can get from it. I would go check youtube for videos that can help

3. I have been taking advantage of this quarantine to learn several stuff from home. And among the important topics for me is learning data analytics. Thank you for this list of companies that offer training. As you have mentioned “We have no excuse, nowadays”.

Thank you very much for this post!

4. Nice article you have got there.

As humans we have to improve on ourselves daily, gathering important information daily. The internet has made learning easy. Some of the information provided online are free so we have little or no excuse not to improve on ourselves.

Learning data analytics is very important since the demand for services is high and various companies need such services.

Thanks for sharing.

• Great comments.

The opportunity to constantly learn is what makes the internet a tool instead of just entertainment.

Keep on improving!

5. Hi Terry, I did not want to skip your request for comments, and you might disapprove of my comments, but I also want to learn form you, I won’t mind that.

What I can contribute is this: My experience with seeking help on YouTube has almost replaced my search for help on Google. As with my recent research of WA, I’ve learnt to scroll down, and scan through ALL the comments made on the specific advice offered. Initially I didn’t do this, and missed out on a lot of valuable info.

By going through the comments, one often finds other people who are equally, or even more skilled and/or experienced than the presenter of the video, and I have also found very useful links in some of those comments.

Just my two cents, but you probably know this already?

• Great advice, Andre.

Yes, it’s good to go through and find people who have awesome knowledge and experience to share.

Thanks for yours!

6. Hello there, thanks for sharing this mind blowing review here with us. I’ve always wanted to learn data analytics but i never thought i could learn it online and that for free as well. I never knew i could get some free online courses as well and from these universities listed here. Thanks a lot for sharing this information it will surely go a long way

• Yeah, it’s pretty amazing that we live in an age where there is so much great info available. All we have to do is put down the cat video and learn something great instead. 😉

Thanks for the comment.

7. Technology has indeed done a lot of good to us, these days with the help of computer, mobile phones and the internet one doesn’t need to go to a university to Errol and sit down in a crowded class sitting to learn ….you can actually do all of that in the Internet and YouTube Is a nice place to all of this. You can as well learn data analysis online which makes it easier… Hope you get a nice course online to improve your potentials…

8.  I was opportune to Learn about data analysis during my school days. The process of data analysis uses analytical and logical reasoning to gain information from the data. The main purpose of data analysis is to find meaning in data so that the derived knowledge can be used to make informed decision.

9. Excellent article! It’s amazing to think about how accessible information is to us nowadays. With the click of a button, we are exposed to a world of knowledge, right from the comfort of our homes. I am addicted to DIY projects, and had it not been for the likes of YouTube and Google, I would have killed myself a long time ago. Haha Knowledge is one asset that no one will ever be able to take away from you. The fact that it’s free is a bonus (the best things in life are free). God bless you!

10. Hi Admin,
    Awesome blog!!! I had no idea that there were so many training courses for free online and that anyone can join.

I had no idea that Universities are offering free courses? What? That’s so cool. 😎

You’ve compiled this information very well and you write thoughtfully. Thanks for such an insightful post. 😍

It’s funny because I’ve been thinking about learning some new skills. I’ll return again and again to your website for reference. 🤓

11. I love this right now! There are so many options that I didn’t even think about. Quarantine has been a time of reflection and betterment. THANK YOU for this information!

12. Wow ! what a fantastic article, its amazing that these resources are available now, thank you for collating all this material and it has given me good idea’s on how to progress myself in uncertain times. The internet is booming and always will be. On the where to start ? Do you offer training from this site, or should I contact one of the listed organisations ? I did wonder who actually did all this analytics before I read this article, do you know which one is the best ?
    thanks

13. Very interesting article and have actually made a note of it, keep up the good work and im sure things will work out good 🙂
    The size and structure to this article I do love.
    Jason 🙂

14. Completely agree. We live in an incredible time for accessibility to knowledge. Never before in our history has there been access to so much data literally at our finger tips and as you pointed out, a lot of it is free. Our challenge and our children’s challenge will be filtering and focusing… with so much content available and the deluge of information being thrust at us for our attention, one of the keys to success in any endeavor will be the ability to filter out the noise and focusing in on the important

15. Great info in this post! There are so many great resources for learning online for free, which is especially helpful right now with so many of us at home. Thanks for letting us know of so many universities, colleges and corporations that offer courses!

16. Most of the time we think that when you have to learn some skill, you need to either go to the university or college or at times pay first before getting it. Thanks for sharing that there is so many places where we can get educated without paying anything.

17. Thank you for the informative post Terry. I don’t know a ton about data analytics to be honest, but it seems very interesting and I can’t believe how many free resources are out there for it. I’ve learned quite a bit of things on YouTube, but never realized how many big name colleges offered such courses. Very exciting. You’re right. This certainly is a crazy time we live in! Can’t wait to see future posts from you!